4 small zucchini from the grocery store or 1 giant zucchini from a friend’s garden
½ cup tomato sauce
1 cup mozzarella cheese
4 oz pepperoni or salami*
Salt and pepper
*I like Applegate uncured Genoa salami.
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Cut the ends off the zucchini and then cut them in half lengthwise. Brush both sides with olive oil and arrange on a baking sheet, cut side up.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on the cut side of the zucchini.
- Spoon tomato sauce onto the cut side of the zucchini, and then top with dried oregano, cheese, and pepperoni (you can also add any other toppings you like on pizza: mushrooms, olives, etc).
- Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender and the cheese melted.
- Zucchini pizza doesn’t have enough carbs for a meal (unless you’re on a seriously low-carb diet), so you’ll need to have something with carbs to go with it, like fruit. Also, if you want more protein, you can substitute ground turkey for the pepperoni (or you can leave the meat off altogether if you want a vegetarian entrée).
Nutritional info per serving:
Prep time: about 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Overall appropriateness for Lazy Chefs: Fantastic! It’s super easy, super tasty, and way healthier than normal pizza.