1 cup white rice (dry)
1 lb ground chicken, turkey, or beef
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 clove garlic, diced
1 small can mushroom pieces, drained
1 cup pizza sauce (plain tomato sauce also works)
2 cups chicken broth or water
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1 T olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, green pepper, and garlic, and cook until softened, 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the ground chicken (or turkey or beef) and cook until browned all the way through, stirring frequently.
- Add the chicken broth (or water), pizza sauce, rice, and mushrooms. Stir all the ingredients together and turn the heat up to high.
- When the liquid comes to a boil, cover the pot and turn the heat down to low. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and stir in the cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- This is a really flexible recipe. Don’t like green peppers/mushrooms/onions? Leave them out! Looking for a vegetarian recipe? Make it without the ground chicken! Like olives or other ingredients on your pizza? Add them! It’s really easy to customize (and you only have to wash one pot!).
Nutritional info (using ground chicken):
Protein: 34 g
Carbs: 46 g
Fat: 19 g
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Overall appropriateness for lazy chefs: Very Good! Upgrade to “Fantastic!” if you can find someone to chop the vegetables for you.